Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stevie Wonder



Today was supposed to be about Jamiroquai, but a revelation has forced me to switch gears so check in tomorrow for that. I love Stevie Wonder. I have always loved Stevie Wonder. It’s another one of those “born-Black” things. As I got older, and became more aware of his accomplishments, I became more amazed, but nothing amazed me more than when I saw Stevie Wonder play the drums. The Drums! How does a blind man learn to play the drums?!?! That put Stevie into the super human category, for me. That’s a Daredevil move. Well, yesterday I was having a Stevie day. I, pretty much, went to my Stevie Wonder folder and hit play on the entire thing. I was listening to “Sunny,” off the For Once in My Life album, when something dawned on me. Stevie Wonder talks a lot about “sunny” and “bright” days for a man who can’t see. Come to think of it, he also talks a lot about “dark” and “black” times too, for a man who’s been blind since birth. He’s talked about Black and White people, and how exactly does he even know what a “Woman in Red” is? That’s when it hit me… Stevie Wonder is faking! I’m calling shenanigans right now. It all makes sense when you think about it. It’s one thing if you’re an amazing multi-talented instrumentalist/vocalist, but if you’re blind on top of that, that’s takes you to legendary. Despite all of this you should be listening to Stevie Wonder.


I see you Stevie. And apparently you see me too…

2 comments:

  1. Mental Link! I was over here blasting "Sunny". I will never forget the time we seen stevie play those drums. Mainly because I said that I bet he wouldn't play the drums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm mad that I can't find that clip. They have removed it from everywhere.

    ReplyDelete