Saturday, April 4, 2009

Cornelius


If you like your music Japanese and weird, then have I got an artist for you. Cornelius is a Japanese musician who makes some of the best unclassifiable experimental music you’re likely to hear. I have to admit I had to consult Wikipedia just to get an idea about a genre. Apparently there is a genre called Shibuya-kei which pretty much is a general term for Japanese pop music. Along with Shibuya-kei, he’s also listed as Experimental, and “Art Rock.” I only have two of his albums, Point and Sensuous. Point definitely have a lot of rock influences but songs like “Tone Twilight Zone” and “Brazil” are more Electronic and Down Tempo. Sensuous is just a battery of different genre’s; Ambient, Electronic, Techno, Rock, Folk, and a lot of those genres blend on the same track. Cornelius is one of those artists I can’t recall discovering. It just seems like one day I was going through my music files and there was Sensuous. Some songs like “Omstart” as so minimalist its almost amazing that you can pull a melody from it, yet there it is in all it’s simplistic glory. I’m not sure if it’s a fair, or accurate, analogy, but I almost want to say that Cornelius' music sounds the way Haruki Murakami books read. You should be listening to Cornelius.

No comments:

Post a Comment