Monday, April 27, 2009

The Beach Boys


Summer is almost here, so it’s only right to address a band that’s renowned for their summer anthems. The Beach Boys are the quintessential surf rock band. I first decided to dig into the Beach Boys catalog after hearing a J Dilla tribute, by a producer named Bullion, Pet Sounds in the Key of Dee. Bullion sampled each song from the album Pet Sounds to make new tracks reminiscent of J Dilla’s last style. I knew Dilla but I didn’t know Pet Sounds, so I picked it up, which lead me to get Surf’s Up, which led to Smilely Smile, and so forth. The Beach Boys are another one of those groups whose discography is just too vast for me to sit here and type out everything. They’ve produced a myriad of classics that have appeared everywhere from movie soundtracks, sitcoms, to cleaning agent commercials. What most people don’t know is that their style was constantly evolving, and the surf rock sound they are best remembered is only representative of their early work. My person favorite is Smilely Smile but I’m weird. I mean, how can you not love a song about eating vegetables? Even if you only know them for songs like “Little Deuce Coup” or “Surfin’ USA,” You should be listening to the Beach Boys.

1 comment:

  1. Upon further review, they sure are. Super dope thieves...

    ReplyDelete