Wednesday, April 15, 2009

MC Delta T


Sci-fi, politics, hip-hop, I never had a chance to not like this. I’m an Okayplayer, meaning I’m one of the many people who lurk about the forums at Okayplayer.com and occasionally engage in the discussions. Some time in ’05 I was hanging in The Lesson when I see a post that says Sci-fi Hip-hop. Naturally, I investigated. What I found was an incredibly brilliant album from an emcee no one had ever heard of. The album was Robot Wars. The artist called himself MC Delta T (it’s a physicist nerd joke of a name). I actually began to correspond with Delta T for a while. He’s from Portland, Oregon, and he originally made the album as a joke. He had just finished watching the cheesy sci-fi classic Robot Wars (which was a sequel to Robot Jox), and decided to make a song about it with a friend, just as a lark. The result is the first track on the album “Robot Life.” Later, he decided to make something more material out of the concept and the end result was Robot Wars. The album describes the rise of robots in a Marxist analogy. It ends with the realization that often after such revolutions the end result is the same or worst than what proceeded it. The album struck me as brilliant. Delta T, a producer emcee, has since gone on to form the group The Unified Theory with fellow Portland native ADM (I’m not a physicist but I love science jokes), as well as help found the label Paragraph records. You should be listening to MC Delta T and Robot Wars.

Robot Wars
This is the album Robot Wars. I know Delta T doesn’t mind it being given away for free.

"New boss same as the old bass, man, but this time around it's the robots, damn." - MC Delta T


"Rise UP"

No comments:

Post a Comment