Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Al Di Meola


Al Di Meola released what is, to me, the single greatest album ever created by a human being. This is spanning all time and all genres. To my current awareness there is no greater album than Elegant Gypsy. Now, that’s a serious statement to make and I advise you to ignore it when you listen to the album. If there is one thing I’ve found if there’s one thing that can skew your perspective of an album, it’s preconceived expectations. It put me off of Nas and Redman for years. Just the same, for me, Elegant Gypsy is the end of all albums. Al Di Meola is a jazz guitarist. His Latin sounds create these beautiful soundscapes. They can be hard and fierce like on “Race With Devil On Spanish Highway,” or light and loving on “Mediterranean Sundance.” I found Al Di Meola a couple summers ago. A coworker and I regularly exchange music and she put me on to him. Sadly I only have 2 of his albums; the already mentioned Elegant Gypsy, and Heart of the Immigrants. What I can say with certainty is that you should definitely be listening to these two albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment