Saturday, April 18, 2009

Jamiroquai


That video was ill. You know the one. The “Virtual Insanity” video was one of the dopest videos ever. That’s where I came on board the Jamiroquai bandwagon. I should have had the album too. My sister had Traveling Without Moving, and for whatever, reason didn’t want it. She said I could have it. Unfortunately for me, when she left to return to what ever southern state she was living in at the time, she took it with her, and then gave it away to someone else. That was still messed up. You gave my CD away. It was a few years before I began to seriously give Jamiroquai a serious listen. I can’t recall exactly but I believe the first album I copped up was The Return of the Space Cowboy. After that it snowballed quickly and I had everything. I guess, it’s somewhat appropriate that Stevie snatched up Jamiroquai’s day, given that their music has a certain Stevie quality. Jason Kay’s voice has a definitely Stevie sound to it. A Funk Odyssey, Dynamite, Emergency on Planet Earth, Synkronized, The Return of the Space Cowboy, Traveling Without Moving; with six albums they have built an incredible library of hit, most of which are slept on in America. “Little L,” “Cosmic Girl,” “Black Capricorn Day,” even laid back joints like “7 Days in Sunny June,” every single song on every single album is a kill shot. How and why it is that these things don’t seem to be break out hits in the US is, well honestly, it’s not very surprising. All most American’s know is “Virtual Insanity,” and “Canned Heat,” thanks to Napoleon Dynamite. If you don’t have at least two Jamiroquai CDs or mp3 albums you need get up and go get 3 at random. I’m serious. Go right now. GO! You should be listening to Jamiroquai.

No comments:

Post a Comment